Change type signature of objectForKey: ?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Change type signature of objectForKey: ?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:35:50 +0100

The -objectForKey: and -setobject:forKey: methods exist in NSUserDefaults and NSDictionary with two different type signatures.

For NSDictionary the key is of type 'id' but for NSUserDefaults it is of type 'NSString*'

This can cause a lot of irritating compiler warnings when using these methods, so I was wondering if we should standardise on the 'id' type, and just have NSUserDefaults perform a runtime check (or even use [key description] to be sure that a key is a string). That would mean that the formally declared API for NSUserDefaults would differ slightly from the MacOS-X version, but it should not cause any problems that I can see.
What do people think?