Re: google summer of code

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: google summer of code
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:40:44 -0400

On Apr 19, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Nicolas Roard wrote:

On 4/17/06, Nicolas Roard <address@hidden> wrote:
On 4/17/06, Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:
I'd think it's a nice idea. Is anyone willing to be a mentor, or at
least put together a list of potential projects?

I started a wiki page:
http://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Summer_Of_Code_2006

If we want to participate (I wouldn't mind participating as a student
for instance,
and I know others are interested too), we should send google a mail
soon I think..
(considering the growing list of organizations..)

Since GNU is already on the org list, we just need to provide mentors and project ideas, is that right? This would probably need to be cleared through RMS or whomever is the point-man for the GNU organization's application. The deadline for mentors is May 1.

The list of ideas on the wiki looks pretty good, though some are less well-defined. The clearest-cut appear to be:

- printing support
- finish Cairo [it would be nice if completing unfinished aspects of Xlib and Art backends could be included here]
- WebCore
- Bindings / KVO

I would add:

- .nib compatibility

'Windows support' might be able to be refined to some good projects as well. I wish there were some way to put together a general "finish GUI" project, though most likely that is more a hodge-podge of miscellaneous tasks than something suitable for a student project. Another source of projects is applications:

- ProjectCenter (if Serg were willing to mentor)
- the PDFKit and viewer
- completing / polishing the various image viewer projects
- finish Emacs.app (what do people think of this.. is it central enough to GNU/GNUstep)?
- refactor Emacs.app code to make emacs editor panel widget