Make enhancements

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Make enhancements
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:59:36 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I'm trying to get back to do some work on GNUstep. As a start I started to implement a feature in make that I was missing: the ability to build outside the source directory. There was already a half-working way in make via GNUSTEP_BUILD_DIR but it was not finished and didn't work for more complex projects (such as core). I took a different approach and intruduced GNUSTEP_SOURCE_DIR and used VPATH instead which is how e.g. automake does it.

During the above I've also reorganised the recently added GNUstep.conf stuff which broke non-flattened setups badly by causing make not finding the config.make file which is installed in a target specific directory but which also contained paths to the config file (a chicken and egg problem).

I hope Nicola (if he is still around) or someone else can review and approve my patch which is not complete yet but with some small patches it can compile base with the sources residing in a read only derectory.
The patches can be found at:
http://goliat.eik.bme.hu/~balaton/gnustep/gnustep-make.patch.gz
http://goliat.eik.bme.hu/~balaton/gnustep/gnustep-base.patch.gz

(These may not apply cleanly because I couldn't figure out how to tell svn to represent file copy and move operations also in the patch.
When trying 'svn status -u' I'm also getting the following errors:
svn: REPORT request failed on 'http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/tools/make/trunk'
svn: The requested report is unknown.)

I hope to have some time to work on GNUstep in the future so I'd like to sign a copyright assignment for the next three years or so (and all past contributions) if it can be arranged. Adam, can you help me in this please?

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan