Re: google summer of code

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: google summer of code
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 01:15:58 +0200

Le 23 avr. 06 à 00:31, BALATON Zoltan a écrit :

I think this would be a great opportunity for the project to get more
developers who can work on writing code. I hope that they let us take part via the GNU umbrella.

Here is my list of ideas:

- Implement the CoreGraphics API on top of Cairo (this brings a common
  base for the Cairo backend, PDFKit and viewer tasks above)

I don't have a sufficient knowledge of Cairo and CoreGraphics to know whether this is possible easily or not.

- Maybe try to implement CoreImage on top of OpenGL and raster image code in back (this may not be an easy task, but for someone who is dedicated
  enough and has a whole summer may be feasible)

May be we need better OpenGL support first. But why not.

- Bring together and consolidate code from gui/base and GWorkspace into a
  library similar to LaunchServices
  (http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?LaunchServices)

LaunchServices isn't really that terrific imo.

- Overhaul and optimise the text system in GUI

Already included.

- Implement a way for binary packaging and distribution (akin to Apple's
  Installation private framework) + command line installer + GUI
Installer.app and put together a binary distribution (this would also include MultiArch Binary emulation via non-flattened directory layout,
  possibly flattened during installation)

That's another possibility.
There is an Installer application part of Étoilé at this time, it was written by Frederic Munoz, but nobody is working on it at this time. <http://www.etoile-project.org/etoile/mediawiki/index.php? title=Installer>

- Might have tasks together with the GCC project too concerning the
  Objective C runtime (e.g. exception handling, objc++ improvements if
  any needed)

Support for @synchronized would be nice.

Some of the above tasks might not be easy but I think they sould be challanging enough to find good candidates for implementing them. A warning similar to that of the wine project put on their pages might be appropriate in some cases but there are easier tasks as well so we might be able to give an appropriate task for anyone applying.

As a side note, I updated/improved the wiki page (fixing some mistakes too) : <http://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/ Summer_Of_Code_2006> I think we should try to have a better granularity for tasks because some of them are fairly small and other quite huge. Any suggestions ?

We would need more mentors too I think… Gregory, Fred, Richard or anyone else perhaps ?

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
address@hidden