Re: FHS compliance/Abstraction of NSBundle

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: FHS compliance/Abstraction of NSBundle
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 02:08:38 +0200

On May 11, 2006, at 12:39 AM, Hubert Chan wrote:
But if we make GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT to be
~/.GNUstep, then user-installed applications, libraries, etc. get
installed in a not-too-nice place, IHMO.

I can't see how this matters for user-installed applications. They can (and should be able to) live everywhere the user wants. Especially for applications even PATH is irrelevant as they will be started by GWorkspace or the dock. Would be cool to be able to deploy libraries inside .app wrappers, I think this isn't supported by GNUstep?

Libraries can live whereever the user wants too. He just needs to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH - plain Unix. He might choose to use ~/lib for that. Or not ...
Personally I do have a ~/bin which I add to my PATH for own scripts.

Finally, I wouldn't equal GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT to ~/.GNUstep (or ~). ~/.GNUstep is for configuration when no GNUstep environment is sourced. Its definitely not for binaries or resources, just for configuration.

Greets,
  Helge