Re: Log messages (or lack thereof) in SVN

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: Log messages (or lack thereof) in SVN
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:37:20 -0500

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 12:16:35PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I think it ought to be possible to require a minumum number of words of
> comment in any commit; it was possible to force cvs to do this.
> Personally, I tihknk its a fine idea, because theres often to other way
> to force folks to add comments.

It *is* possible to do this in the pre-commit hook; however, I do not
think we have direct access to this hook with gna.  Not that it really
helps unless people really actively try to document their changes.

"tweaks to make things better"

isn't really any better than no message at all even if it does fit a
minimum word criteria.

- Andy

P.S.
And just for the record (I'll not name any names; I'd imagine you know
who you are), the primary violator of the "no blank commit messages"
suggestion has used a commit message on 4 of his last 100 commits (2 of
which were made today).  The diff for these same 100 commits comes to a
staggering:

I pray that nobody ever must decipher what has changed over the last
several months.

--
Andrew Ruder <address@hidden>
http://www.aeruder.net