Re: How to indicate API version properly (taking in account next release

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: How to indicate API version properly (taking in account next release)?
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:20:49 -0600

On Aug 9, 2006, at 7:10 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

I understand the problem, but I don't think the best solution is to add new macros and scripting. Rather, I think it's to adopt a slightly more rigorous approach to making releases. What I propose is this ... When we make a release, we make a branch in svn into which any bugfixes will be applied. Immediately after making the release, we increase the minor version number in trunk.

After a release, if we need to make a bugfix release, we do it by incrementing the subminor version number in the branch and releasing a snapshot of the branch at that point. We don't add new features in bugfixes, so there is no issue with version macros.

I think that's a great idea, if we can get all the developers to be rigorous about making changes to the correct branch - only bugfixes (and ALL bugfixes) to the branch, etc. It also helps with releases, as I don't have to wade through ChangeLogs and source to see if a new release deserves to be a major or minor release.