GCC 2.95 deprecation (Was Re: [Gnustep-cvs] GNUstep Testfarm Results)

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: GCC 2.95 deprecation (Was Re: [Gnustep-cvs] GNUstep Testfarm Results)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 09:38:17 -0700 (PDT)

Riccardo,

I'm not sure if I got that email, what "core" stuff are you referring to?   Please send it to the list again.

In the meantime, allow me to be clear on this: GCC 2.95.x is an ancient version of the compiler which doesn't support modern conventions in C99 as well such things as namespaces, certain types of foward declarations, -fconstant-string, and it also has problems with spin-lock (mutex locking) and etc.  It's silly for us to officially support it anywhere.

Also, any architecture which doesn't have GCC 3 support can and probably should be dropped as well.

The non-release critical policy, in this case, needs to cover all of GNUstep, not just "core pieces".

Later, GJC
--
Gregory John Casamento