Re: GUI/Gorm code freeze

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GUI/Gorm code freeze
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:43:40 -0600

On 2006-08-26 11:01:39 -0600 Chris Vetter <address@hidden> wrote:
Let's say there's a framework that implements one or more 'wanted' classes but are licensed under, say, BSDL. Would it be permissible to add those classes to GNUstep (since it's LGPL) or would those classes have to be 'handed over' to FSF, changing the license in the process?

I would prefer that classes that we consider part of the 'core' system be assigned to the FSF and integrated as LGPL. I don't think other frameworks have to be handled that way. In many cases this can provide more flexibility for development. The only problem with separate frameworks, though, is that they have to be distributed and installed separately. With the lack of a package manager, this makes things very hard for the user.

And what if the author doesn't want to change the original license but adds a section that additionally puts the code under LGPL (that is, as a dual license) provided / as long as the code is used in GNUstep?

Yes, that would be much easier that having to figure out how GNUstep should be used under multiple licenses.