Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop

From: Günther Noack
Subject: Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:25:43 +0200

Hi!

Am 27.08.2006 um 23:56 schrieb Chris Vetter:

However, the above has some merit -- why not 'split' GNUstep in two _official_ parts (and I think that is what Greg had in mind)
a) GNUstep Core -- the development framework, as it is right now
b) GNUstep Desktop -- well, the desktop itself.

I think that's a good idea. I'd prefer 'GNUstep Frameworks' for the name of the development framework, though. It makes clearer what it is. ('GNUstep Core' could also be the name of the GNUstep Base Library.)

For cooperation with Etoile and inclusion of existing applications, it would be helpful if the license requirements allowed to include code which is not GPL-licensed.

Another advantage, as already pointed out by Greg, would be _coordination_ which currently IS missing with the development of Etoile and GWorkspace (sorry to say that). Not to mention the ones that never meet the light of day err are released into the public due to lack of man-power...

True. It definitely lacks. I vote for it. :-)

-Günther