Re: Advertisement for gnustep

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Advertisement for gnustep
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 02:39:38 +0200

Am 13.09.2006 um 01:12 schrieb Philippe C.D. Robert:

The GNU project *is* about ideological thinking, at least to some degree. Don't forget, you would not be able to use any GNU software if everything was only about commercial success and "practical things". I seriously question that GNUstep (or its advertising) should be focused on some (commercial, Cocoa) developers targeting Windows. This would be just wrong IMHO.

Well, to some degree. But if you start to hold the pureness of your idea in higher regards than the goal you want to reach (freedom?) you're doomed. You start to go after the people that deviate from your idea. Just look at the former eastern block or at some religious movements (both had/have the official intention to make the world a better place)

As a side note, you don't have to convince Cocoa developers to use "this obscure framework using an even more obscure language" ;-)

Exactly what I said. You don't have to convince those. But you would have to convince all those C++ heads out there, which would be much more difficult as a start (a lot of programmers are somewhat religious about their favorite language, aren't we) than to do it step by step (hey, even our project has that step moniker in it's name ;-)) not overrating our possibilities (If you want to go cross a river you could try to walk over the water, start to build a bridge or just swim.)

-Phil

regards, Lars