Re: Config updates

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Config updates
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:50:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- Nicola Pero <address@hidden>
wrote:

>  3. set GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES if you are compiling
> anything (ie, export
> GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=...)
>
> Unfortunately, there isn't much hope of getting away
> without 3. simply
> because all GNUmakefiles
> start with
>
> include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make
>
> and unless GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES is defined, this won't
> work.

personally, i would like to see the gnu-make internal
makefile include path used (which i'm sure i mentioned
sometime in the past)

its documented in the make info page
and can be easily found by a '/-I'

(note that -I switch could be used for people who want
to compile stuff on a gnustep install in the user root
or wherever)

while it does break makefiles using

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/....

a) easy to fix
b) easy to work around by setting GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES

so i guess i'm proposing replacing

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

include gnustep/bootstrap.make
or include gnustep.make

which would set...

GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=....
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

and i suppose that GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES= could even come
from GNUstep.conf or somewhere..