Re: Debug as default...

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Debug as default...
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 06:19:06 +0200 (CEST)

Thanks ...

... I also noticed that according to the GNU Coding Standards, '-g' should
be used by default
when doing 'make all' ... just another reason why it looks like a good
idea to make 'make debug=yes'
the default, which I've done. :-)

I also removed the filtering of -O2 from 'make debug=yes', as it seems
that '-g -O2' is a good
set of flags ... I think the -O2 causes GCC to do some flow analysis that
causes it to generate
better warnings ...

Hmmm ... maybe we should be using '-g -O' rather than '-g -O2'.  The doc
says:

-O1: "Some transformations that preserve execution ordering. Debuggability
of the generated code is hardly affected. User variables should not
disappear and function inlining is not done."

-O2: "More aggressive transformations that may affect execution ordering
and usually provide faster code. Debuggability may be somewhat compromised
by disappearing user variables and function bodies."

Anyway, let me know if '-g -O2' causes problems, I presume if the '-O2'
seriously confuse the
debugger let me know and we can revert that change, or maybe use '-g -O' ?

Thanks