Re: make help

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: make help
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 05:04:07 +0200 (CEST)

>> I was thinking of adding a little bit of inline help for gnustep-make.
>> What's the best way ?  I was thinking of adding a target like
>>
>> $> make help
>
> I'm all for adding more documentation and help...
> but... please *don't* make it a target!

Eh, not many other options though ;-)

I agree there is a risk of conflict with valid targets. :-/
Maybe we just leave it as it is.

> Here are some other ideas you could use:
>  info

Well, 'make info' is traditionally used to build texinfo documentation ...
btw this probably is an excellent example in support of your point about
conflicts with valid targets! ;-)

>  helpme
>  summary
>  options
>  gnustep-make-help
>  shortform

... and those are a bit too obscure

> or make it an option
>  info=yes
>  summary=yes
>  shortform=yes

This could be an interesting idea, but the main problem is that someone
looking for help
probably wouldn't know that to get help you need to use 'make help=yes'.

Maybe whenever you type 'make' we could always print a line saying 'Please
type
'make help=yes' for help' ...

Not sure. :-(

Suggestions welcome :-)