Re: make help

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: make help
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 07:45:35 +0200

Adrian Robert wrote:
On 2006-09-27 23:04:07 -0400 Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

This could be an interesting idea, but the main problem is that someone
looking for help
probably wouldn't know that to get help you need to use 'make help=yes'.

Maybe whenever you type 'make' we could always print a line saying 'Please
type
'make help=yes' for help' ...

I like this one.  In fact, you could have a msg like this:

    GNUstep make (version x.xx); please type "make help=yes" for help.

That would serve 3 purposes -- tell invoker that GNUstep make is being used (in case they care), the version, and how to get help.

Reading the make manual, it specifies for installed stripped versions:

make install-strip, from this I find it more logical to use:
install-strip
install-nodebug

and going on in the same logic:
print-help      # prints complete help
print-targets   # prints only the available targets
print-options   # prints the available options
print-version   # Source version
print-gnustep-make-version # GNUstep-make version
print-gnustep-base-version etc...

Just my 2 cents.

Dennis