gnustep release numbers

From: Helge Hess
Subject: gnustep release numbers
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:51:53 +0200

Hi,

could we please change the numbering scheme for GNUstep releases?

In my understanding:
Currently when Adam does a release he bumps the soname version (eg from 1.12.0 to 1.13.0) in trunk and then tags the release. That means after the release, trunk will continue carrying that tag.

I propose a simple modification: Also bump the version after a release so that trunk libs can be identified properly. I would also suggest to use even numbers for releases and odd numbers for trunk.

That is:
Lets bump the trunk version to 1.15.0 _now_. Next release will be 1.16.0 and right after its tagged, we bump trunk to 1.17.0. And so on.

Still less than ideal because we have no stable version but an improvement over the current situation which makes it hard to distinguish dev snapshots from final releases.

Thanks a lot,
  Helge
--
Helge Hess