Re: gnustep release numbers

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gnustep release numbers
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 06:31:16 +0100

On 5 Oct 2006, at 00:01, Helge Hess wrote:

On Oct 5, 2006, at 24:30, Hubert Chan wrote:
Thats because the program you check only uses the "old" API. ABI compatibility is _exact_. You can't add a (public) class or method and you must not "fix"(/change) the behaviour in an incompatible way. Eg if gnustep-base 1.13.0 adds NSOutputStream and a tool uses that it can't be ABI compatible with 1.10.0 for obvious reasons.

So keeping a stable ABI bites with advancing gnustep-base which is often work for adding additional Cocoa methods, classes or fixing incompatible behaviours etc. Which is why I _encourage_ having more GNUstep _alpha_ releases to move things forward quickly in the release-early-release-often spirit. But at the same time its not really hard to keep _one_ maintained and published "guaranteed" state a "thirdparty" developer can rely on.

Ah .... I finally see what you are getting at.

You want a single 'stable' release that everyone is expected to code to and where they can expect (for a few years at least) to be able to expect their binaries to run when they supply them to a third party because they expect that third parties will have that release installed on their system.

That's easy for frozen/dead systems, but hard for living, changing ones.

Any release would do as 'stable' for this purpose ... but only if no other releases were made after it for a long time ... since regardless of what you say about stable/unstable, people like to have new features etc (in the case of GNUstep there is a strong desire for MacOS-X changes to be incorporated for instance) and will, if you make 'unstable' releases with significant new features , want to download and install the 'unstable' release.

If I seem incredibly slow in understanding what you mean by 'stable', please understand that it's just that the idea of trying to enforce a frozen ABI for years seems utterly impractical. Even for gnustep- base it would not be easy (the drive to MacOS-X compatibility is too strong), but for other less complete parts of the system and the system as a whole there is really no chance of such a freeze. We would probably have to make the subversion repository private to prevent 'unstable' versions getting out. I think such a freeze would kill GNUstep.