Re: Checking breakage of backward compatibility

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: Checking breakage of backward compatibility
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:12:43 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 4 Oct 2006, at 12:46, David Ayers wrote:

I'm almost indifferent on the subject.  But in practice I believe  people
will unknowingly break binary compatibility and forget to bump the SO
name.  I think this is worse than forcing folks to recompile apps just
because the SO name bumped even though it didn't break binary
compatibility.... but like I said.  I wouldn't mind either way.

That worries me too ... but I think we *must* try to be strict about it.
Is there any way we could devise an automated test for binary compatibility breakage?

I once tried that... but the problem is you can only do that for the installed libraries. Is there a way I can ask a program to reveal what it needs? I only found tools that said what a lib supplies.

Greetings,

Dennis