GSEncodingName

From: David Ayers
Subject: GSEncodingName
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:13:39 +0200

Hello Richard,

This function returned an non-localized NSString representation of an
NSStringEncoding allowing a way to specify a human readable/set-able yet
locale independent property list representation.

On the one hand it was a documented Function, one which replaced a
deprecated predecessor.  On the other hand a comment in the header
stated it was part of a set of private functions.

We use it GDL2 to allow the user to define the string encoding used by
the database in a locale independent manner with the model.  Of course
we could maintain a local mapping, but it seems to me that this
functionality should be kept together with the NSStringEncoding
definitions which -base provides.

I would like to request that we keep this IMHO very useful addition
unless there is some new API that replaces this functionality which I'm
not aware of.  At least I'd like to see a deprecation cycle despite the
comment in the header, which I admit I was not aware of until now.

Cheers,