Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:43:45 +0200

Nicola Pero schrieb:

>>> Anyway I suggest as a reasonable agreement, we'll use b. to set
>>> the installation domain as System for the 4 core packages (make,
>>> base, gui, back). All other packages should have no default set
>>> and so install by default in Local (packagers are encouraged to
>>> install them into System instead when they package though). Makes
>>> sense ?
>>
>>No ... not really.  The System domain is for all system packages, not
>>just a few core libraries.
>>

> I agree ... but who decides what are the system packages ?  Not us. :-)
>
> It's decided by the packagers. ;-)

Indeed, and I believe this is the core argument.

The way I see it is, installing a self compiled -make and -base into the
Local domain (potentially hiding the packager installation in the System
domain) is analogous to installing a self compiled gcc into /usr/local
hiding the system gcc (and related libraries like libobjc).

Cheers,