Re: GSEncodingName

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GSEncodingName
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:54:16 +0100

On 12 Oct 2006, at 22:30, David Wetzel wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

I didn't realise this was used outside the base library.

I've no strong objection to putting it back, but I do want to
minimise/remove non-standard APIs (just declaring them private is not
good enough).

Would it really be a great hardship to just use the numeric values of
the string encodings?
I don't know the current state of GDL2 ... I guess if you dislike
using a number there is no gui tool for manipulating models and you
edit plists by hand?

I use EOModeler on a Mac.

index.eomodeld:

{
    EOModelVersion = "2.1";
    adaptorName = PostgreSQL;
    connectionDictionary = {databaseName = XXXX; hostName = XXXX;
databaseEncoding = NSUTF8StringEncoding; };
    entities = ( .......

I meant that if you used a gui tool the value in the model would be hidden, so you wouldn't care what representation it used.

Sure, I use the inspector to insert "NSUTF8StringEncoding" there. But it is possible that in some version
of OSX or GNUstep the (internal) number is changed.

Less possible than them changing the string value ... the numeric value is specified in the header files. Not a big issue anyway,

Also, NSUTF8StringEncoding is better readable
that a numeric value, which you would have to look up.

Is that a good reason?

I've done an fgrep of the entire subversion repository, and googled to try to wind any other mention on the web.
The only place I can find this function used is once in gdl2
It seems likely that either it's not actually very useful, or people have refrained from using it because it was commented as private. Anyway ... as it's used in only one place, why don't I just implement the function there (gdl2/EOAccess/EOAdaptor.m)?
Any objections?