Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:32:33 +0800

Nicola Pero wrote:
Would it be an idea to have an option that decides what kind of tree is
going to be used like:

GNUSTEP_FS_STRUCTURE=[FHS|GNUSTEP|WINDOWS|SOLARIS]

We're not far from that ;-) ... that option will be used when configuring
gnustep-make.

It is -base which decides what goes where so we shouldn't we really be configuring base, not -make?

Decoupling the dependencies is a good thing, IMHO.

We just need to save the configured filesystem structure in GNUstep.conf,
and use it to set GNUSTEP_APPS etc. in common.make, and we're almost done
(except
that a few things, like GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR, will no longer work in that
context). ;-)

Then every application, at launch time, must set up the whole fs structure?

 >> And then GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR decides where the root is, maybe it
should be called GNUSTEP_FS_ROOT, like in
GNUSTEP_FS_ROOT=[/usr/GNUstep/System|/usr/GNUstep/Local|/usr|/usr/local|/opt]

Why not GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN then, which is an 'abstract' definition
of where things should be installed ?  gnustep-make would then map it to
the local reality. :-)

For consideration, isn't GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN a little too confusing?

I'd prefer something a little more like:

GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR  (we'd have to change some -make internals)
GNUSTEP_INSTALL_INTO
GNUSTEP_INSTALL_DESTINATION

or perhaps we should be thinking more along packaging lines...

GNUSTEP_PACKAGE_LOCATION

Packagers can easily add a line to their makefile or preamble this way...

Regards,
Sheldon