Re: GSEncodingName

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GSEncodingName
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:04:29 +0100

On 13 Oct 2006, at 06:17, David Ayers wrote:

Thanks, I've just done this.  My main issue was not that it would be
hard to implement, it was a matter of maintaining the mapping together
with the NSStringEncoding enum.

Ah ... that's part of the public API ... the name and value of the NSStringEncoding enumerated type (NSString.h)

I can't see numeric values changing, but perhaps we should change the non-standard enumeration constants to use a GS prefix rather than an NS prefix. I expect we will also add character encodings in future, but shouldn't remove any.

As part of the public API, any removal/renaming will go through a deprecation process ... I have tried to do a two release cycle in the past (ie if it's marked as deprecated in release N, then it must still be present in N+1 but we can remove it so that it is not in release N+2). I'd like to make that standing policy for public API removal (and I'd like to get to a stage where private APIs really are private ... not exposed at all beyond the technical minimum of a few external symbols found in the binaries).