Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:08:55 +0100

On 13 Oct 2006, at 04:58, Nicola Pero wrote:

Things should be decoupled ... -make and -base don't really talk or depend
on each other.

Not entirely true. Currently -base depends on -make for configuration.

Thanks, I see your point ... which is a very good one :-)

You're suggesting that, for example, in a binary distribution (say, Debian)
you could install gnustep-base without installing gnustep-make.

Then you can also install any other GNUstep software that is binary packaged by the distribution. You don't need gnustep-make, because everything is in the FHS locations and you're not building anything, you're just installing
binary packages.

I agree it would be a nice thing :-)

In that case, yes, you would need GNUstep.conf, yet you have no gnustep-make
installed.

I suppose the right way of addressing the issue is to create a
'gnustep-common'
package, that only installs GNUstep.conf.

Then, on top of that, you can install gnustep-make and/or gnustep- base;
you only
install gnustep-make if you want to build.

We could make all this explicit by extracting the creation of GNUstep.conf
into
a separate software ... to be installed before gnustep-make. It sounds
very clumsy
though ;-)

At the moment, I'd leave everything as it is (a packager could still
install GNUstep.conf
in a separate package to get the effect above).

This all sounds complex ... and seems to be based on accepting both that gnustep-base depends on gnustep-make for configuration and the assumption that this is a problem. The flaw in that is that base does not depend on make for config information (unless it's been broken recently), it merely uses it at configure/build time if it is present and not overridden. Even if base did depend on make for config information, I don't see it as much of a problem, since if we ever had another package capable of building the base library I'm sure it could be made able to provide any necessary config information for it too.

Moving the creation of GNUstep.conf into gnustep-base doesn't make much
sense,
because gnustep-make can't work without it. You may want to use gnustep-make without gnustep-base (eg, for building documentation or resources or java
stuff,
or for building using non-gnustep-base foundation libraries, eg on
apple-apple-apple
or gnu-fd-nil), and at the moment you can't build gnustep-base without
gnustep-make
anyway ;-)

Yes, gnustep-make required GNUstep.conf, but gnustep-base does not. But even if it was required by base, we could deal with the problem when we produced another package capable of building base.

Anyway, good idea to keep it in mind, I mean, yes, conceptually, the step
of creating
GNUstep.conf is separate from gnustep-make and gnustep-base.  It's a
"preliminary" step
if you want. ;-)

Yes, analagous to running a configure script ... it's where you set up various options.

Yes ... we're not really "almost done". :-( ... we also need to have
gnustep-base load
the directory structure from GNUstep.conf and use it when searching for
stuff
at runtime :-/

For long lived processes this might be fine but for short lived tools
you're
imposing a considerable startup delay.

There is already such a delay, since we are already reading GNUstep.conf.
I doubt
adding ten more lines or so to read would make any difference in speed.
If we could avoid
reading the file altogether, that would be faster. ;-)

Yes, but not much faster ... on my system it takes half a millisecond to do the whole process of reading and parsing configuration info ... that includes loading both the system GNUstep.conf and my user specific one overriding some values in the system-wide one.