Re: Private library symbols...

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Private library symbols...
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:40:05 +0200 (CEST)

>   I think remaining reasons are rather a matter of taste ... do we
> want to use ObjC semantics or C semantics generally?
> Do we care whether we group functionality in a class, or use a
> collection of functions with a common prefix?
> Do we want to use a single style or both functions and methods?

[I'll just chip in, drop my comments, and walk out.  Feel free
to do what you want with them ;-)]

If the functions act on the same data then they should be
methods of the same object (the data becomes the instance, and
the functions become the methods). :-)

If the functions are unrelated pieces of code, or even loosely
related pieces of code that don't share data, then it would make
sense to leave them as separate functions. :-)

You can still group them in the same file.

Generally, using higher-level semantics (like objects and methods)
where they are not needed adds complexity.  Functions are really
easy to understand.

A last comment is that you can't hide a method no matter how hard
you try -- it will always be possible to retrieve it from the ObjC
runtime. ;-)

So in terms of making things really private, a function appropriately
setup to be not visible outside the library seems the perfect solution. ;-)

Thanks