Re: gnustep release numbers

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: gnustep release numbers
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:06:32 +0100

On 05.10.2006, at 13:20, Helge Hess wrote:
<snip>

  I think such a freeze would kill GNUstep.

Yes, freezing repositories doesn't really help. But freezing an ABI / a version is very good for all people who just want to use the library. And by this I don't mean endusers but developers which want to develop ObjC on Linux/BSD/Windows.

As mentioned I think that a LOT of people will be using alpha releases to get the latest and greatest. As mentioned before for OGo I guess this is about 50/50 in the user base. Notably the "stable 50" or often newbies which first need to get into the system w/o being exposed to update issues and other sideeffects they do not care about when getting it up and running. The stable OGo (1.0) packages are very well tested and all install-issues are well known and well supported by the community.

I completely agree with Helge - and I fail to understand why people are against such a release strategy, it does not hurt anyone, in contrary...

-Phil