Re: NSTableView verticalMotionCanBeginDrag stuff

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: NSTableView verticalMotionCanBeginDrag stuff
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 18:08:43 -0800 (PST)

--- Matt Rice <address@hidden> wrote:
<snip>

> as currently implemented it is impossible to
> select
> multiple rows through dragging
>
> it selects the current row, and drags it when
> mouseDragged on an unselected row, (the same
> behaviour
> as horizontal drag motion currently).
>
> should i change this to only start vertical drags on
> already selected rows so vertical motion on
> unselected
> rows allows you to select multiple rows?
<snip>

this actually seems to me to be a bad behaviour
(selecting a row when starting a drag event on an
unselected row)

the main problem being that the modifier keys for
selecting rows can affect both the drag operation
and the selection mode

so i guess i'm proposing only beginning a drag
operation when dragging from a selected row

and otherwise selecting rows

the other option,

dragging the selected rows no matter the current rows
selection status, i don't really like, it would make
selection in allowsMultipleSelection
verticalMotionCanBeginDrag rather annoying.
(iirc this is the apple behaviour)
though it would surely simplify the code a bit

Get your email and see which of your friends are online - Right on the New
Yahoo.com
(http://www.yahoo.com/preview)