Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r24007 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSDragVi

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r24007 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSDragView.m Source/NSCell.m Source/NSTableView.m
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 03:16:07 -0800 (PST)

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep?rev=24007&view=rev
> > Log:
> >         * Source/NSTableView.m: Add new private
> methods.
> >         (-mouseDown:): Reorganize and don't track
> cells until dragging
> >         has been ruled out.
> >         * Source/NSCell.m
> (trackMouse:inRect:ofView:untilMouseUp:):
> >         Handle events no longer in the queue.
> >         * Source/GSDragView.m: Change NSLog to
> NSDebugLLog.
> >

> - It looks like you are not using the standard
> GNUstep formatting rules.
> I must admit that I am not following them all the
> time, but the way you
> place your blanks or rather leave them out, should
> be adopted to the to
> be more readable. One space character after a colon
> should be used :-)

ok i commited some changes to this, i'll update the
rest of my patches accordingly

> - The new method _startDragOperationWithEvent:
> should pass on the offset
> for the dragging and not mix this with the start
> position.

i'm really not sure what exactly you mean by this,
that code is unchanged only moved into a private
method

since it was lengthy and self contained
to reduce nesting and the size of mouseDown:
and its only ever called once, not in a 'tight loop'.

> - In the new tracking method, we only check if the
> column is editable,
> shouldn't we use the method that checks for the cell
> to be editable?
> (BTW in this the comments are still wrong)

ok, i think i see what you mean, for some reason i
thought you meant we should check the cell for
editablity before *tracking* on the cell

this seems to be very much a corner case,
i'm actually not sure what should happen
it means,

the table column is editable,
the cell is not,
the cells object value has changed during tracking,

seems quite rare,
and i'm not exactly sure what kind of behaviour one
would expect, ignore the object value change, or
expect it to be changed,

we didn't actually edit the cell, we told it to track
the mouse, and it decided to change the object value
it seems to me like the cells decision
and if it doesnt want to change the object value if it
isn't editable, it should handle that in the mouse
tracking

> - A bit more comments in the mouseDown: method would
> be helpful. This is
> so complex and there are so many different things we
> tried before, that
> we really need to explain what is happening and why.
> I still don't
> understand if the dragging is stealing events from
> the tracking or the
> other way around or even both may happen.

ok i added some of these

Sponsored Link

Get a free Motorola Razr! Today Only!
Choose Cingular, Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, or T-Mobile.
http://www.letstalk.com/inlink.htm?to=592913