Re: Plans for change....

From: Hubert Chan
Subject: Re: Plans for change....
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 23:20:59 -0500

Hi Gregory,

Congratulations on becoming chief maintainer.  Thanks for your work so
far, and thanks for your commitment to the project.

And, of course, thanks to Adam for all of his work as chief maintainer
as well.

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:10:01 -0800 (PST), Gregory John Casamento
<address@hidden> said:

[...]

> 3) Eliminate the need for GNUstep.sh, either by making GNUstep place
> it's binaries and libraries in more "standard" places,

This is what we try to do for Debian, in order to satisfy the Debian
Policy (which follows the FHS).  Libraries get moved to /usr/lib,
headers to /usr/include, architecture-independent files to /usr/share,
and symlinks to make everything accessible from the normal *step
hierarchy.  And we have wrapper scripts in /usr/bin.  It's not perfect,
but it works, and we don't have any more complaints about policy
violations.

If you're interested, I can send you fuller details about the exact
filesystem layout that we are using.

If GNUstep does this sort of thing, I'd be more than happy to add my
input wherever needed.

> or by providing an installation procedure

I'm not sure exactly what you're thinking of in terms of an installation
procedure.  But it should be fine as long as it can work well with
GNU/Linux distributions.  Again, I'd be more than happy to help out with
this, with my Debian hat on.

[...]

> 5) Focus and concentrate on one and only one set of display
> technologies per platform. We expend way too much time and energy on
> maintaining mulitple backends (xlib, art and etc) when we really don't
> have to. For Linux/BSD we have two functional backends and another on
> the away for cairo. What's the point of this? In my opinion we should
> complete the cairo backend and deprecate BOTH the xlib and art
> backends. xlib is hopelessly outdated and libart isn't really
> supported by anyone anymore.

Yes please. ;)

(We also need to get printing working properly.  Fonts get messed up.)

[...]

> 7) Make GNUstep friendly with other environments like GNOME, KDE,
> Windows and etc. Make sure that GNUstep functions sanely in these
> environments. This might mean that we need to have behaviors for each
> different environment. How to implement this is unclear, but it's
> something that I believe would make the user experience better
> overall.

And I guess at least part of this would involve becoming involved in the
freedesktop.org effort.  (Unfortunately, probably not something that I
can help out with much.)

Although as a whole, this is probably a very tough problem.  There are a
few very big things that *step does differently.

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: address@hidden - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)