Re: Plans for change....

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Plans for change....
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:02:15 -0800 (PST)

Dave,

I have a couple of comments on this, which I've been meaning to say for a while.

In the past people have expressed the opinion that "dynamic layout isn't
possible in Gorm/Nib files"
or, at least, that it can't be handled within IB/Gorm.  That statement is
patently untrue.

Gorm contains classes called editors.   The purpose of these classes is to
manage the views while
they are being edited in the gui.   For example, the "button editor" is what
allows you to stretch and
modify the button without causing the underlying button to be pressed.   It
does this by wrapping the
button in itself as a subview and passing on events to the button instance when
needed.

This concept can be used to the same effect on dynamically resizable views,
such as those
used in Renaissance.    Additionally, inspectors could be used to tell views,
like in Renaissance,
whether or not they should care about X/Y coordinates.

As I said in my posting regarding the backend....  we need to focus on one set
of technologies for
each problem.

All of the above being said, a significant amount of Renaissance technology can
be used to create
classes which will work in the "traditional" Gorm/IB gui editors.   I,
personally, have not had the time
to do this, but it can be done.

Later, GJC
--