Re: Proposal to deprecate Xlib backend

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Proposal to deprecate Xlib backend
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 18:00:59 +0000

On 25 Dec 2006, at 14:59, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

All,

I've been thinking about deprecating the Xlib backend, so that we can focus more on Cairo. I have discussed this with Fred and I would like to know what everone else thinks about it.

Depends what is meant by 'deprecate'.

It seems reasonable to move away from it ... but Cairo is not ready yet, and the art backend seems to have its own problems. My impression is that art is a little better than xlib but harder to maintain (code less clear etc). I'm taking it on trust (Fred's judgment and yours) that Cairo is the way to go rather than improving an older backend ... I don't have the graphics knowhow to make a good judgment myself.

I think very little time is spent on maintaining either art or xlib ... interaction with x window managers needing (and getting) more attention than the actual xlib or art rendering code, so it's not a big issue right now.

However, we do need to make sure people don't waste time on development work for multiple backends ... so we need a clear policy for future development work (especially for any new volunteers).

So, in terms of what people should be told to *use*, I don't think we should deprecate xlib until Cairo is more usable than it, but in terms of what people should do development work on, I would deprecate both xlib and art immediately. Once cairo is at least as usable (glitch-free, feature-full, and quick) as xlib and art, we should deprecate both old backends. I think backend development work should concentrate on cairo. If Cairo also works well in the mswindows world, we should probably concentrate on a cairo graphics engine for both unix and windows. For MacOS-X compatibility, would it be possible to do CoreGraphics in terms of Cairo for both unix and windows?