Re: Proposal to deprecate Xlib backend

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Proposal to deprecate Xlib backend
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 23:57:04 +0100

Gregory John Casamento schrieb:
> Richard,
>
> The reasons behind the move to Cairo are as follows:
>
> 1) Cairo is being used by a number of other projects.  It is very stable and
> well maintained.
> 2) Cairo has been ported to a number of other operating systems, including
> windows and has a large number of output targets.  This way, Cairo would do
> much of the heavy lifting for us with regards to getting things to render
> acceptably on other platforms.
>
> I agree with what Richard is saying here as well.

Looks like everybody agrees with Richard:-)

So let's focus on the cairo backend for now and when it is finished
deprecate xlib and art, but let them stick around for some time afterwards.

Things to be done for the cairo backend:
- Test with the latest cairo release.
- Sort out copying from one cairo GState onto itself.
- Get transparent images working.

There is more, but these I remember from the top of my head.

Cheers,