Re: Cocotron

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Cocotron
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 08:53:03 +0000

On 28 Dec 2006, at 00:35, Tima Vaisburd wrote:

I disagree that we should adopt the single platform approach ... my
feeling is that
what they have right is the idea that interface completeness is
unnecessary if you
have good enough feature coverage.

So I think we should be concentrating on that 'good enough'  feature
coverage
and making that easy for people to get started with.

I'm certainly not arguing that we should not add new features, just
that our
priority should be delivering ease of use rather than completing the
task of implementing the entire API.

Ok, I happily agree with you. I tried to describe it as "feature
completeness":  maybe not all functions are implemented, but
with those that are you can write everything you want.

I wrote about sticking to Linux only because I was looking for a way
to reduce the amount of work to be done until, say, "stage 1" is
fully completed. But your suggestion is even better.

Please note, though, that this task is harder to define - you need
to deeply know the interface rather than go search for FIXME or
NOT IMPLEMENTED. I do not have such understanding, for example.
It's somebody like you (or just you :-) ) needs to say: here is a set of
methods, we do them and nothing else.

I don't have that knowledge either ... and I'm not sure anyone does.

IMO the best way to find out what bits of the API still need to be implemented as a priority is to get people to join the project writing applications to do particular jobs, and somehow encourage those people to either fill in the missing bits they need or at least point them out as feature requests/bug reports ... but to have them involved somehow. I have a suspicion that people who find something they need missing just tend to quietly give up and go away, so that nobody else even knows about the problem ... or they perhaps raise the issue in a chatroom, where there is no record of it. We need such feedback to tell where to focus (though ideally we need patches to be contributed).

In fact I wonder if the irc chatroom harms the project ... my impression (from lurking on irc a bit recently) is that most of the people who hang out there are not gnustep developers ... ie they are people who don't want to contribute to the project, but are interested in using gnustep in other things. So asking for help in the chatroom is quite likely to mean that anything said does not actually get through to anyone working on gnustep! It's also as likely to get a response griping about gnustep as it is to get something helpful. So it seems the chatroom gives us bad publicity and blocks feedback from getting to us!

I don't know what we can do about that though.

I'm inclined to say that core developers should not be proactively implementing missing parts of the API at all ... but should be concentrating on the ease of use and user appeal issues and only work on missing API as a response to a specific bug report or feature request from a user. Of course, sometimes ease of use work implies large scale changes including implementing missing API.

For instance ... even though I don't know the Apple CoreGraphics API at all, I think we should be changing the gui/backend interface to use that for drawing rather than the old DPS methods. It's an issue which ought to make a real usability difference for any MacOS-X developer looking to use GNUstep who is doing any drawing into views at all. However, this is lower priority than other usability issues.