Re: Proposal to deprecate Xlib backend

From: Hubert Chan
Subject: Re: Proposal to deprecate Xlib backend
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:57:18 -0500

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 00:38:18 +0100, Guenther Noack <address@hidden> said:

[...]

> I could also imagine that a clear indication that xlib is deprecated
> may help people outside the GNUstep project. For example when looking
> at Etoile, there are at least the MultimediaKit and the
> XWindowServerKit which directly talk to X11 (MMKit displays the
> Mplayer window in a GNUstep window). For authors of projects like
> these two, it may be very helpful to know that they won't have to
> support xlib in the future.

AFAIK, Etoile still needs to talk to X11 directly for those functions.
They are mostly for things that the *Step API does not handle
(e.g. switching desktops, embedding, etc.).

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: address@hidden - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)