Re: WebObjects Dev tools (Re: some GSWeb wiki pages updated / added)

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: WebObjects Dev tools (Re: some GSWeb wiki pages updated / added)
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 21:01:44 +0100

Am 03.01.2007 um 10:19 schrieb David Wetzel:

Lars wrote:

Since Apple is going to deprecate the Java bridge and all the WO
tools in foreseeable future (next WWDC, Leopard?) it is maybe a good
idea to integrate with these. Although WOLips is Eclipse based (and
Java this way) there is at least an existing infrastructure to build
on (or to port to ObjC maybe?) which would need some minimal
extension (mainly some sort of ObjC editor (could be based on http://
www.eclipse.org/cdt/ possibly?) and some ObjC builder support).

I do not care about the Java bridge.

But EOModeler cares. EOModeler uses the Bridged JDBC Adaptor to connect to the Database. So if the Java bridge is gone EOModeler runs no longer.

The only tools I am using here are EOModeler and WOBuilder.
For EOM, there seems to be already something on the way.

In WOLips you've got Entity Modeler which is basically EOModeler without the graphical view.

WOB is a much harder task since it requires integration with somthing that can render HTML like
WebKit.

I for my part don't consider this critical since I can live without it. I use the HTML Editor as part of the WOD component editor which WOLips provides on a daily base. It supports syntax highlighting, syntax checking and code formatting which is more important for me than to have a rendering preview. If you're creating highly dynamic pages the preview WOBuilder provides isn't very useful anyway. But of course everybody has his own preferences.

For me, these two tools are a big improvement in productivity. That is why we should have GNUstep versions of them in the long term. Editing WOComponents in a text editor is slower and tends to have
more syntax errors than "generated" ones.

Actually, it may be possible to create a single graphical Editor that can edit Renaissance XML and
WOComponents.

Any ideas?

--
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,

regards, Lars