RE: gnustep-make experiment

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:07:30 +0100 (CET)

> GDL2 needs to attempt to link to the Gorm libraries to see if it
> should enable building of the GDL2 Gorm palette
> and in porting aquaterm, and the gnuplot adaptor for aquaterm, it
> needs to also look for a lib in the GNUstep heirarchy
> to enable that.

There are two solutions to that:

 1. source GNUstep.sh inside ./configure.  ./configure is a shell script, so I
don't see what's the problem with that.  You first check that GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES
is set, if not you exit with an error.  If it's set, you source
$GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES/GNUstep.sh and then you have all your GNUstep variables
available! ;-)

 2. do it inside your GNUmakefile directly ... use a Makefile ifeq(,) with a
wildcard expansion to check for the existence of the library.  If it exists,
you include palette.make, if not, you don't. ;-)

I suppose we could have a prewritten, ready to use, autoconf check for
libraries.  Or we could have a  gnustep-make macros that expands to 'yes' or
'no' depending if a certain specified library (or tool) is installed on the
system or not (I can write that for you)! ;-)

Thanks