Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:00:40 -0800

On 2007-01-24 14:24:59 -0800 Helge Hess <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jan 24, 2007, at 15:10, Matt Rice wrote:
I've come across at least 2 instances of needing the environment variables GDL2 needs to attempt to link to the Gorm libraries to see if it should enable building of the GDL2 Gorm palette and in porting aquaterm, and the gnuplot adaptor for aquaterm, it needs to also look for a lib in the GNUstep heirarchy
to enable that.

Maybe I'm entirely off-track, but I suppose whats being talked about is resource or bundle lookup :-) Which of course should also work in FHS settings. (ie Gorm should ideally work in plain FHS, no?)

In OGo/SOPE we explicitly support both variants. If the GNUstep environment is sourced, we look in "GNUstep style pathes". If such a lookup fails (or if no environment is sourced), we continue searching in FHS locations (currently we hardcode /usr/local/ and /usr/, which obviously should be configurable using configure ...).

Eg, a bundle "ABC.bundle" with resources a.gif/b.gif in GNUstep setup:
   (pathprefixlist) + Library
     /Bundles/ABC.bundle
       ABC
       /Resources
         /a.gif
         /b.gif
In FHS:
   (pathprefixlist: /usr, /usr/local):
     /lib
       /abc-1.2.so
     /share
       /abc-1.2
         /a.gif
         /b.gif

Something like that ;-) Frameworks/bundles need to be "debundled" for FHS. Of course this can be done transparently in the NSBundle class. (though a separate class has the advantage that you can do FHS in combination with Cocoa).

Well, sort of, though admittedly i'd attempted to avoid file system discussions :D

I was just trying to get rid of GNUstep.sh or any setup required before running make
and left it at that.

but admittedly, the patch i posted would work best if things installed by default into /usr/{,local}/bin for Tools/ and /usr/{,local}/lib (configurable of course)

in that case you could just make; make install; run stuff
and if you really want something like a self contained installation,
or installation into somewhere like ~,
or multiple installations, you can but may have to to fiddle with environment variables, configure flags and stuff.

the other part of this thread relates to just setting GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES instead of sourcing GNUstep.sh where i had some concerns about being able to run AC_CHECK_LIB from configure files.