Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:35:30 -0800

On 2007-01-24 16:14:47 -0800 Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

so the idea was we replace all the environment variables with that we install gnustep.pc by default into somewhere pkg-config will find it, then people who want non-standard stuff fiddle with it can set PKG_CONFIG_PATH
but it should just work by default

Unfortunately, because all GNUmakefiles in the world start with the line

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

and we want to maintain backwards-compatibility as much as possible (ie, we don't want everyone in the world to have to modify their GNUmakefiles, or worse, to have two copies of each of them for different gnustep-make versions!), GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES has to be defined to compile. But we managed to make that variable the only requirement! :-)

I don't really find this a very compelling argument, by just not removing GNUstep.sh for some period
of time it is easy to be backwards compatible by sourcing it
and its very easy to switch the makefiles with sed.

Anyhow i'll read this more thoroughly tomorrow,
but my main problem with GNUstep.sh isn't actually technical at all,
its the very first thing potential developers are going to see, so will be the first impression, and imho gives the impression of being strange because it is uncommon for a build system
to depend on environment variables to function.