Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 03:19:56 +0100

On Jan 25, 2007, at 01:35, Matt Rice wrote:
Anyhow i'll read this more thoroughly tomorrow,
but my main problem with GNUstep.sh isn't actually technical at all,
its the very first thing potential developers are going to see, so will be the first impression, and imho gives the impression of being strange because it is uncommon for a build system to depend on environment variables to function.

Yes. The thing we do (... ;-) is to have a very small (hand written) 'configure' script which locates gnustep-make and writes a small 'config.make' files containing the relevant GS variables. Then all makefiles include that config.make file like this:

-include config.make
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

If configure was run, it works w/o an environment. If it wasn't, it still works when GNUstep.sh is sourced. Which is quite nice IMHO ;-) [actually SOPE even embeds gstep-make and builds that as part of the 'configure' process if it can't find an installed gstep-make. Which makes the package completely self-contained, IMHO rather nice and similiar to autoconf]

Possibly a 'make dist' should automatically generate such a configure script for a given project?
Don't know. Probably there is a smart solution to the issue ;-)

BTW: personally I'm not quite sure whether I understand that /etc/ GNUstep.conf thing :-) Is it necessary or optional?

Greets,
  Helge
--
Helge Hess