Re: Recent NSMenu changes..

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Recent NSMenu changes..
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:57:29 -0800

On 2007-01-28 12:53:23 -0800 Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:

Matt Rice schrieb:
I don't really like the new NSMenuItemCell behaviour which adds #, /,
show the key mask before the key equivalent.. i think its unattractive and makes it hard to quickly see the key equivalent, and doesn't increase the comprehension of which keys to press since they don't map to the actual
keys
to be pressed on the keyboard

It is a good point that this does look ugly and that it does not really
help a user to judge what modifier she needs to press to get the key
equivalent working. I did copy this code from mySTEP because up to then
the GNUstep code had only displayed the key equivalent itself. This
might in some cases even be a non printable character like return or
escape, so some change was needed. But our old code also did not show
the key modifier. I think in May last year Richard corrected the GUI
code to respect the key equivalent modifier, since then other modifier
apart from ALT where possible, but the GUI did not give a glue about
which modifier where needed. So seeing an "s" as the key modifier you
had to go through all the possible modifier combinations to trigger the
short cut. This clearly needed to be changed.
The question now is, if you have a better proposal on how to display the
modifier? Any idea here would be welcome.

Not really, the only thing i could think of was something like using tooltips to give a textual
representation of the key equivalent e.g.

Quit: Terminates the application.
Key equivalent: command-q

Cheers,