Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 07:48:26 -0800

On 2007-02-09 05:27:39 -0800 Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

On 2007-02-08 05:13:32 -0800 Nicola Pero <address@hidden innovation.com> wrote:

So we could have a small makefile fragment, let's call it find- gnustep.make, that searches for gnustep-make on disk and sets GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES to the best match. I'll write that makefile fragment, and it will be maintained inside
gnustep-make.
I don't get this one, you want to let the fragment search for gnustep- make? Where will it search? Isn't it expensive to search all locations everytime? I'm not convinced that this can happen automagically.
Here is an example -- put this at the top of your GNUmakefile, just before include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make --
GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES = $(word 1, \
$(wildcard /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles) \
$(wildcard /var/lib/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles) \
$(wildcard /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles) \
$(wildcard /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles) \
$(wildcard /System/Library/Makefiles))

This doesn't actually fix anything, if we're going to change the GNUmakefiles so their usable without having environment variables we might as well fix it for all cases not just the most common ones.

I don't think there *is* a fix for all cases.

Yeah, i agree with that... not exactly what I meant though.
I meant pkg-config would work if one wanted to install GNUstep somewhere
non-standard.

I'd certainly much rather have a solution which works for all common cases (as Nicola suggests) than have a dependency on external stuff like pkg-config which definitely won't work on some platforms unless we install it as additional software when installing GNUstep. Installing pkg-config with GNUstep is not a big issue in itsself, but then you get problems if someone else installs a version configured to look in a different place for its data files.

Either they can tell pkg-config where to find it with PKG_CONFIG_PATH or they can configure GNUstep to tell it where to put the .pc file.. I wouldn't think GNUstep should be installing pkg-config anyways. if its a compile time dependency only
so distributing binaries thered be no risk of this.

It seems to me that using pkg-config would be more fragile than what Nicola suggests, but would be fine to include as a fallback to try when all else fails.

Not really... both either they work or you have to configure it,
its home-brew configuration process or more standard one.
his solution also doesn't fix the other issue with finding the libdir from autoconf.

I don't really like the idea of using pkg-config as a fallback... because of the potential for people who understand pkg-config attempting to configure gnustep with PKG_CONFIG_PATH and find out its not falling back to using pkg-config... divergent paths of configuration

anyhow i guess i will come up with a patch to use a gnustep-config which gets its information from
GNUstep.conf and we can argue over that...
(in other words reimplement pkg-config for GNUstep)
I just don't think we should disregard existing tools/processes lightly.