Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 21:07:19 -0800

On 2007-02-10 20:46:30 -0800 Christopher Armstrong <address@hidden> wrote:

Considering some of the effort needed to get pkg-config working on
Windows, could we please maintain all existing build methods in
gnustep-make? IMHO pkg-config still feels like a alpha quality programme
in some environments, despite being widely used. The classic
gnustep-make build environment is still my first choice and is alot
easier to install as it has no unusual or difficult dependencies.

Yes somewhere in this thread backwards compatibility with old GNUstep-makes was
discussed and it was stated that one could add

GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES ?= $(shell pkg-config --variables=makefiles)
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

and create makefiles which work with old GNUstep-makes which weren't
pkg-config enabled this same mechanism can be used to subvert the
pkg-config dependency by manually setting GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES
or sourcing GNUstep.sh

Anyhow now we have gnustep-config.sh which works similarly to pkg-config without the optional
dependency...

Its definately up in the air though whether this will become a recommended addition to
GNUmakefiles or not...

Lastly, on a slightly unrelated note, the GNU dependencies (zlib,
libpng, libjpeg, etc) that are needed to compile GNUstep on Windows can
be automated using an installer from the gnuwin32.sf.net project which
downloads most of the precompiled GNU environment. I was thinking that
it may be possible to take the scripts given there, combine them with
scripts for installing mingw/msys and create an installable mingw
environment on Windows that is ready to compile source code within.

Regards
Chris