Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 05:16:28 +0100 (CET)

>> Did you add your System Libraries directory and your Local Libraries
>> directory to /etc/ld.so.conf ?  Did you run ldconfig after installing
>> any new library ?  If not, it won't work.
>
> That's the same for lots of non-gnustep stuff too, but mostly non-
> gnustep stuff seems to avoid the problem.
> I suspect that many packages have their installation scripts run
> ldconfig for you.
> Perhaps gnustep-make could be enhanced to do that on systems where
> /etc/ld.so.conf and ldconfig are available?

Yes, it sounds like an excellent idea to do it automatically. :-)

Main questions for discussion are --

 * How we decide if we have to run ldconfig or not ?  Do we need to run it only
on GNU/Linux ?  Are there similar tools on other unixes ? (I imagine so, so
we'll have a general-purpose post-library-install target-dependent command that
we run automatically)

 * Should we try running ldconfig only if LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not include the
GNUstep libraries directories ?  Or do we run it always ?

 * How would you disable running ldconfig automatically ?  Do we add a command
line flag ?  Like 'make ldconfig=no' ?

Thanks