Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:44:18 -0700

On Feb 15, 2007, at 7:35 AM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

Have we even tried, experimentally, doing this refactoring to see if it
actually would make things simpler?   The best way to prove a point is
code.  I would like to see if it can be done.

While I understand it's not *strictly* needed for FHS compliance..... it is something that many developers, outside of GNUstep, use on a daily basis.

If someone can produce a patch which would simplify gnustep-make that uses pkg-config, I really don't see a reason not to consider including it.

I don't really see the point of this. It might be nice to support pkg-config for those who want it, but pkg-config doesn't even come close to supporting the requirements of GNUstep development. First, pkg-config is only for developers. Maybe it would be useful for writting a few tools and such using GNUstep, but for anything more complicated? Why would a developer want to used all the advanced capabilities of the GNUstep envirnoment AND want to write all their Makefiles from scratch using pkg-config? Seems counter-productive.

As Nicola said, it doesn't even simply things, either.