Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:35:19 -0800

On 2007-02-16 11:25:49 -0800 Matt Rice <address@hidden> wrote:

On 2007-02-15 12:44:18 -0800 Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:

On Feb 15, 2007, at 7:35 AM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

Have we even tried, experimentally, doing this refactoring to see if it actually would make things simpler? The best way to prove a point is
code.  I would like to see if it can be done.

While I understand it's not *strictly* needed for FHS compliance..... it is something that many developers, outside of GNUstep, use on a daily basis.

If someone can produce a patch which would simplify gnustep-make that uses pkg-config, I really don't see a reason not to consider including it.

I don't really see the point of this. It might be nice to support pkg-config for those who want it, but pkg-config doesn't even come close to supporting the requirements of GNUstep development. First, pkg-config is only for developers. Maybe it would be useful for writting a few tools and such using GNUstep, but for anything more complicated? Why would a developer want to used all the advanced capabilities of the GNUstep envirnoment AND want to write all their Makefiles from scratch using pkg-config? Seems counter-productive.

As Nicola said, it doesn't even simply things, either.

well attached is a patch anyways which implements a step-config program in c, it is very similar to pkg-config, but provides a c api and some output formats make has been modified to output a file gnustep-config.make so step-config only needs to be run once... gnustep.cfg unlike gnustep.conf is required GNUstep.sh has
been modified to run step-config instead of the other way around

This patch is against yesterdays svn so its possibly a little bit out of date

a few things to note, it defers to the environment, so if GNUstep.sh wants to set
something like library-combo etc, it should pick that up

GNUstep.sh doesn't really want all variables just some of them, so i still need to add
support for outputting multiple specified variables

then GNUstep.sh just needs to go -x foo -x bar for all the variables it does want.
and it currently doesn't clean gnustep-config.make.

oops forgot to add gnustep.cfg.in

<gnustep.cfg.in>