Re: Etoile live cd 0.2 prerelease

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Etoile live cd 0.2 prerelease
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:27:51 +0100

Am 27.02.2007 um 18:44 schrieb Nicolas Roard:

Hi everybody,

Here's the pre-release of the etoile live cd we made for the fosdem...

I'm impressed. This is the first time I've seen Etoile and I'm sure it will attract Mac-minded people: Well tought interface, lean, task centric.

Great idea is to offer two accounts, one for Etoile, one for GNUstep solo.

it's buggy,

So, I'll add my observations here:

- Running the CD natively, I get a blank screen only. Likely due to my G965-based chipset, but there appears to be no text mode to check. Upgrading to Ubuntu Feisty with it's 2.6.20 kernel might be a good idea to be at least current regarding hardware support.

- At the login, the busy mouse cursor never stops spinning.

- Opening the CD in Windows presents you the advantages of Ubuntu, no word about Etoile or GNUstep.

- ProjectManager in Etoile doesn't offer project types (list is empty), prohibiting doing a sample project. Same app in GNUstep works better, but chokes when trying to write the project to disk.

All this was seen in VMware, 256 MB RAM.

but it's available to play with !

Make sure to get the installer working before "shipping" :-)

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/