Fwd: [OG #148744] Fwd: Is the pre WebKit OmniWeb Code available?

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Fwd: [OG #148744] Fwd: Is the pre WebKit OmniWeb Code available?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:46:31 +0100

FYI, no luck with OmniGroups code ...

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

Von: address@hidden
Datum: 8. März 2007 19:09:05 MEZ
An: address@hidden
Antwort an: address@hidden

Hi Lars,

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you. The consensus over here is that your best bet is probably to try to get WebKit ported over. Our frameworks were originally written 10+ years ago and just aren't capable of handling todays web, the very reason we switched over to WebCore in version 4.5 and the full Webkit in version 5.5.

Also, many of our frameworks are open source. You can access them on our FTP but yeah, I don't believe what you're looking for is contained within the package any longer.

Thanks,
Troy

[Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf - Tue Mar 06 11:41:44 2007]:

Hi,

I am writing you on the behalf of the GNUstep project ( http://
www.gnustep.org/ ). We are currently investigating the possibilities
of getting some sort of web browser for our project, which seems to
be no trivial task given that the most code available is not written
in ObjC or for the OpenStep Libraries (what makes heavy porting from
other libraries and/or toolkits necessary). Even some browsers
written for Cocoa are not easy to port - WebKit relies heavily on
CoreFoundation and ObjC++ (which is not finished for the gnu-objc-
runtime) and Camino has lot of Carbon dependencies (despite other
pitfalls). So both situations are not easy to resolve.

Since I am a long time OmniWeb user (since version 4.0.1) I know that
all pre 4.5 versions used some ObjC Framework written by your company
internally. Since you switched to WebKit with version 4.5 I guess you
still have the code laying around somewhere without much use for you.
What I am asking you now is if it would be possible to get hold of
that code under a reasonable license so that we have a head start for
our browser efforts. I know the code is not very up to date but I
think it still demands less work than all the other alternatives (If
you're curious what has been discussed read the threads with "GNUstep
web browser" in the topic here: http://news.gmane.org/
gmane.comp.lib.gnustep.general/ ). Potentially some money will be
available if that's the show stopper but don't expect to much (in the
range about $ 500, we are a voluntary free software project and get
all our money from some donations).

I'd certainly want to hear from you, even if your response is
dismissive.

best regards, Lars S.-Helldorf

p.s.: I cc'ed this mail to Gregory John Casamento, the maintainer of
GNUstep