RE: Problem building gnustep-base tools with MinGW

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: Problem building gnustep-base tools with MinGW
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:04:27 +0100 (CET)

>> ./configure --with-layout=fhs
>> make
>> make install
>
>Done.
>Does not work : same errors.

That's surprising. :-(

It seems to suggest that probably the problem is something else. :-/
Maybe it's a bug in gnustep-base then ?

It looks like I'll have to reboot under Microsoft Windows and try it all again.
:-/

>> PS: stuff like
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=C:/GNUstep
>>
>> is no longer recommended and might not work.  To make things simpler, we
>> prefer people to develop in the clean MSYS/MinGW Unix-like environment
>> where it's guaranteed that there are *no* problems, but making sure the
>> resulting binaries can be then shipped/distributed/organized
>> in some other, more Windows-friendly, way. ;-)
>
> So GNUstep becomes an Unix-like environment. That's bad.

Well ... GNUstep command-line development is Unix-like, but it has always been
like that.  Things are compiled using sh/make/gcc ... that's why you need MSYS.
;-)

If you mix Unix paths with non-Unix paths sh/make/gcc/etc get easily confused.
Then things maybe work, maybe not, and it's difficult to get things working
consistently, predictably and reliably.  Which is why we really recommend
working inside MSYS when building, other types of building are not really
supported.

But once you have built your stuff, you are free to use your environment in a
more
Windows-like setup! :-)

> Even my MSYS/mingw installation is not 'standard' as i use some
> msys-links :
>  / is C:\Dev\msys\1.0
>  /mingw is C:\Dev\MinGW\mingw
>  /usr/local is C:\Dev\MinGW\local
> Should that work with GNUstep or do I have to reinstall the
> whole thing ?

I'm not sure, I'd need to boot Windows to help you here. :-/

But if you can figure out how to use these 'links' then I imagine that
you can put GNUstep wherever you want on disk ;-)

Just create a "link"

 /usr/GNUstep --> C:\GNUstep

then if gnustep-make can access the stuff from the shell as /usr/GNUstep,
everything
should work fine ... and you can still find GNUstep on your harddisk in
C:\GNUstep. :-)

Presumably if all is about finding GNUstep on your harddisk you can also create
desktop link (reference ?  whatever it was called under MS Windows) pointing to
<msys>/usr/GNUstep. ;-)

Thanks