Re: Crash with new-style exceptions on FreeBSD amd64

From: Michael Gardner
Subject: Re: Crash with new-style exceptions on FreeBSD amd64
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 05:09:29 -0500

Thanks for the tips. I just installed GNUstep from trunk, and can
confirm that the problem is fixed. :)

-Michael

On 3/19/07, Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

>> That's brilliant ... I added --shared-libgcc (on all platforms) to the
>> linking stage when native ObjC exceptions are enabled. :-)
>>
>> Hopefully that fixes it ... Michael, any chances you could try it out
with
>> gnustep-make from trunk to see if it's fixed now ? :-)
>
> That might be difficult since my GNUstep installation is managed by
> the ports system, which tracks releases rather than the trunk. Is
> there a way to get two versions of GNUstep to coexist peacefully on
> the same system?

Yes.  I do it all the time.  It needs a bit of manual stuff, but here
is how you do it:

1. check out GNUstep core in some place you like

svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/modules/core

2. make sure your GNUstep environment is clean; if you have another
GNUstep environment, clean it up by using

. /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep-reset.sh

(only works with sh).  You should have no GNUSTEP_* variables in your
environment.

3. configure make telling it to install completely in some directory you
like, for
example /home/nicola/my-own-gnustep (so you don't need to be root to install
your
hacked gnustep and you have no chance of overwriting something in your
system
installation!)

cd core/make
./configure --prefix=/home/nicola/my-own-gnustep
--with-config-file=/home/nicola/my-own-gnustep/GNUstep.conf

4. install gnustep-make

make install

5. to use the newly installed gnustep-make instead of the real one, make
sure to:

 * clean up your environment as explained above
. /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

 * set the variable GNUSTEP_CONFIG_FILE to point to the GNUstep config file
of your alternative GNUstep environment:

export GNUSTEP_CONFIG_FILE=/home/nicola/my-own-gnustep/GNUstep.conf

 * run GNUstep.sh

. /home/nicola/my-own-gnustep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

Hope that helps :-)

Thanks