Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r24973 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog Instance/fram

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r24973 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog Instance/framework.make
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:07:36 +0200 (CEST)

At a quick look at the bug report - without trying it out - it looks like
the gnustep-make issue is the one I fixed on trunk. :-)

It also looks like etoile.make is trying to create a symlink
libFramework.so --> the actual framework shared lib, which was a good idea
for gnustep-make version 1, but the new gnustep-make also creates such
symlink (since version 1.98.1) and indeed in a completely portable way so you
can always link to a non-installed framework by just using

-Lpath_to_framework/xxx.framework/$GNUSTEP_TARGET_LDIR (including
Apple/Windows/etc).

Hopefully that means you can simplify etoile.make a bit ?  If you are only
forward-looking
you can just tell people to use gnustep-make from trunk (or from the
forthcoming version 2
release) and remove the symlink in etoile.make altogether.  Else, you'll have
to use ifeq()
to check the version of gnustep-make, and create the symlink only for old
gnustep-makes.

The relevant change is the following one --

2007-03-06  Nicola Pero  <address@hidden>

        * Instance/framework.make: When version support is enabled, build
        symlinks from top-level xxx.framework/TARGET_LDIR/xxx and
        xxx.framework/TARGET_LDIR/libxxx.so to the Current object files so
        that uninstalled frameworks can be linked by using
        -Lpath_to_framework/xxx.framework/$TARGET_LDIR.
        * Instance/framework.make: Use standard '=' assignment for
        variables.
        * Instance/framework.make: On Apple, if non-flattened, put the
        top-level symlinks into TARGET_LDIR.

Thanks

PS: If I get some time, I'll check etoile.make in more details and maybe see
if I can help simplifying it.